John Black, Partner
John is a trial lawyer whose practice focuses on helping those that have been harmed by individuals and corporations. His practice includes nationwide representation of those gravely injured whether by toxic substances, pharmaceuticals, medical devices or the negligence of others. He has been recognized as a Super Lawyer for each of the past six years, and is experienced in catastrophic single-event cases and complex, multi-district litigation.
After receiving his B.A. in Latin American Studies (with honors) at The University of Texas at Austin, John received his law degree from The University of Texas School of Law. He earned his licenses to practice law in Texas in 1998 and New Mexico in 2015.
John began his career as a trial lawyer at Baron & Budd PC in Dallas, Texas, one of the largest law firms in the country representing exclusively plaintiffs. He then joined Heard Robins Cloud & Black LLP, where he spent 13 years handling mass tort and catastrophic single-event cases, also serving as managing partner from 2007-2013. In 2015, he formed Black Law Group PLLC to continue representing plaintiffs
He has served as a member, former director, PAC Chair, Vice President-Finance, and Executive Committee member of the Texas Trial Lawyers Association.
New Mexico Trial Lawyers Association
State Bar of New Mexico
Texas Trial Lawyers Association
State Bar of Texas
Houston Trial Lawyers Association
American Association for Justice
- In re Avandia Marketing, Sales Practices and Products Liability Litigation, MDL 1871, United States District Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania (Judge Cynthia Rufe)
- In re C.R. Bard, Inc. Pelvic Repair System Products Liability Litigation, MDL 2187, United States District Court, Southern District of West Virginia (Judge Joseph Goodwin)
- In re American Medical Systems, Inc. Pelvic Repair System Products Liability Litigation, MDL 2325, United States District Court, Southern District of West Virginia (Judge Joseph Goodwin)
- In re Boston Scientific Corp. Pelvic Repair System Products Liability Litigation, MDL 2326, United States District Court, Southern District of West Virginia (Judge Joseph Goodwin)
- In re Ethicon, Inc. Pelvic Repair System Products Liability Litigation, MDL 2327, United States District Court, Southern District of West Virginia (Judge Joseph Goodwin)
- In re GlobalSantaFe Corporation 275 S.W.3d 477 (Supreme Court of Texas, 2008)
- In re 3M Company, 2007 WL 926605 (Tex.App.--Houston [1st Dist.] 2007)
- In re GlobalSantaFe Corporation, 2006 WL 3716495 (Tex.App.--Houston [14th Dist.] 2006)
- In re Silica Products Liability Litigation, 216 S.W.3d 87 (Tex. J.P.M.L. 2006)
Products Liability Litigation
Medical Device Litigation
The University of Texas School of Law, J.D., 1998
The University of Texas at Austin, B.A. with Honors (Latin American Studies), 1994
United States Supreme Court
United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
United States District Court for the Eastern, Southern and Western Districts of Texas
Lou Black, Partner
Lou Black devotes all of her legal practice to the aggressive handling of cases involving cancer caused by exposure to asbestos. Her current docket focuses exclusively on mesothelioma and lung cancer cases, filed in various jurisdictions across the country.
South Texas College of Law, J.D., 1993, summa cum laude
Texas Christian University, B.S., 1990, cum laude
Bar Admissions: Texas; Pennsylvania; U.S. District Courts for the Northern, Southern and Eastern Districts of Texas
Lou is a member of the Board of Directors and currently serves on the Executive Committee of the Texas Trial Lawyers’ Association. She is also a member of and a Past President of the Houston Trial Lawyers Association.